Jake Kiley is the lead guitarist, and chief facemelter, for one of my all-time favorite bands: Strung Out. I’m almost loath to do a full writeup here because if you’re here, you’re likely well-acquainted with Strung Out’s work, but because he gave me some insights I wasn’t necessarily expecting, here are a few bullets of things we talked about (not in order of appearance in the show):
- Jake ranks his Top 5 Strung Out albums.
- The economics of touring, how not to be a burned out rockstar who has all your money stolen from you, and what the new 3rd revenue stream is while on tour
- How Strung Out got hooked up with Lucky Luke Brewing and what beers they’ve made together.
- How to stay up on a huge back catalog and stay in shape to play a physically punishing style of music several nights a week.
- Why they’ve (both) stayed with Fat Wreck Chords for their entire career and why they’ve sometimes felt like the label’s black sheep.
There’s a ton here. Jake was incredibly generous with his time, very effusive in his responses to my questions, and just a super cool guy to chat with. You’re going to dig this conversation. I certainly did.
Be sure to stay up with Strung Out on their official website, on Facebook, Twitter, Spotify, YouTube, and Instagram.
This episode is available on iTunes, Stitcher, virtually any other podcatcher and always at the Jon of All Trades homepage. Subscribe, rate, and review!
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
2 comments on “Ep. 257: Jake Kiley -Strung Out Lead Guitarist”